What is the difference between an institute and a university?
In Russia there are more than 3000 universities, as well as theirbranches. Its state status each higher school, university, academy or institute is obliged to confirm every five years on the accreditation board. Not everyone can see the difference between an institute and a university or a higher school from an academy.
The status of the Institute is primary in the system of higher education of the Russian Federation. Among the main activities:
- narrowly focused educational activities;
- training (retraining) of staff;
- direct management of research work.
The Institute is a university with the lowest status. Accordingly, the requirements for such educational institutions are low:
- It is quite enough two graduate students per 100 full-time students.
- 30 teachers, if the age of the institution is from 3 to 5 years.
- Financing from 1.5 to 5 million rubles for five years.
If at the end of the graduate school, at least 25% of graduate students have defended during the year, then the institute has the right to claim the title of academy.
The main thing is how the institute differs from the university,- this is the teaching staff, scientific work, the number of graduate students and profile education. The university has the highest status among universities. Its main activities are:
- implementation of education programs of a wide range of focus;
- conducting scientific work in a wide range of areas.
To obtain the status of a university, an educational institution must meet the following criteria:
- Have at least four graduate students per 100 full-time students.
- Conducting scientific works in at least five branches of science.
- Accordingly, the level of funding is at least 10 million rubles for five years.
- Academic degrees and titles must have at least 60% of professors.
A special requirement for such universities is the need to use innovations in the educational process.
- Unlike institutes where training is conducted in one specialty, universities conduct training for at least seven specialties in different sectors of science.
- The number of graduate students per 100 students in the university is two more than in the institute.
- The Institute is not required to have professors with academic degrees, whereas in the university this indicator can not be less than 60%.
The university must carry out much more research work. In addition, the range of these works is much wider than in the institute.