What are the oceans?
It's no secret that most of the Earth is water. Including the oceans. About what oceans are on the planet Earth, our article will tell.
The global ocean is the global body of sea water,which surrounds the islands and continents. Almost 3/4 (and this is 71%) of the surface of our planet covers this world ocean. It covers more than 3/5 of the earth's surface in the Northern Hemisphere and 4/5 of the Earth's surface in the Southern.
In some places, the earth's crust rises above the surfaceThis ocean, while forming continents, atolls, islands and other land areas. Although the World Ocean is a single whole, they were given different names for a more convenient study of its separate parts. So, the great archipelagos and continents divide the World Ocean into five major large parts:
- The Atlantic Ocean (an area of 916 million km2);
- The Indian Ocean (an area of 76,200,000 km2);
- The Arctic Ocean (Arctic or Siberian, an area of 14,800,000 km2);
- The Pacific Ocean (Great or Eastern, an area of 178620000 km2)
- The Southern Ocean is the fourth largest ocean that is washed by Antarctica.