Types of decorative plaster
Types of decorative plaster: The main task of carrying out repairs in the house is the creation of a comfortable, cozy and exclusive home. Thanks to modern materials, this can be done without the help of professionals. One of the best options is decorative plaster.
- for exterior finish (facade mixtures);
- for interior decoration;
- universal blends. Suitable for decoration of residential and non-residential premises outside and inside.
The classification of decorative plasters in composition
- mineral. This is a dry mix, created on the basis of cement, which is diluted with water and used for exterior decoration. Among other types of decorative plasters, mineral mixtures are favorably distinguished by the simplicity of application and the ability to solve problems of additional insulation of the facade of a building. To impart water-repellent properties, polymer additives are introduced into the mixture. However, the life of such a material is low - 9-10 years, after which there is a need to carry out work on the renewal and restoration of coverage.
- acrylic. High elasticity of the material is achieved through the use of acrylic resins. The service life of such a coating is 15-20 years. However, if basalt wool is used as a wall insulation, it is not recommended to use acrylic plaster. The maximum manifestation of the properties of the mixture is possible when combined with a foam insulation layer.
- silicate. To date, this is the most optimal finish, having a high level of strength, and rock service for about 20 years. The binding component is liquid potassium glass. This type of plaster has a grooved or evenly rough structure. Experts recommend to apply silicate mixtures on surfaces containing lime.
- silicone. The main such mixtures is the aqueous dispersion of silicone resin. Considering the fact that in the production of silicone I use oil, silicon, and table salt, compositions based on them have all the advantages of mineral and polymer plasters and are among the best in the list of modern finishing materials. They are characterized by exceptionally high strength, water, dirt, dust repellent properties.The life of the silicone mixture can reach 25 years, while the material does not absorb and does not accumulate harmful substances.
Decorative plaster also differ in the type of mineral filler, due to which the necessary surface relief is created. In the role of the filler may be quartz, granite or marble chips and mixtures based on them. Granules can have a size from 0.5 mm to 5 mm. Also, plaster compositions differ in the method of application, on which the surface will be smooth or embossed, matte or glossy. Which plaster is better, only you decide.
All compositions have a sufficient degree of vapor permeability - the ability to pass moisture and air in both directions. The lowest indicator of vapor permeability in acrylic compositions, but at the same time they are the most resistant to weathering materials. The highest rates of silicone and silicate mixtures.
Types of decorative plasters
- textured (structural). Today it is the most common type of finishing materials, which is sold as a finished mixture or powder (diluted with water).The mixture is based on knitting substances, flax or cotton fibers, natural or artificial material crumbs, etc. serve as fillers. The textured mixes allow you to imitate masonry and wild stone, a bas-relief with textured or three-dimensional pattern, and wood bark. The most extensive group of materials are relief coatings applied using different techniques and materials (pastes, varnishes, paper, etc.). Such plaster not only makes the surfaces particularly attractive, but also perfectly hides irregularities and other defects of the walls.
- smooth. With its help, you can achieve the effect of silk drapery, light sea foam, ripples on the water, "pearl" shell, etc. This texture is achieved by using varnishes and paints, the play of light. Artistic painting and traditional monochrome wall decoration are also referred to smooth plaster.
- Venetian. With its help, you can apply a coating that will successfully imitate marble and other textures of stone. Apply the composition on the wall stained in several layers. In this case, the surface acquires a shimmering, luminous surface. To enhance this effect, beeswax is added to the final layer.Venetian plaster looks great in the interiors, made in classic style.
- stone crumb. The composition of the mixture includes small pebbles, as well as adhesives and binders. Stone chips can be different colors and shades. The application of the composition is made in an even layer with a spatula. The most common stone chips are marble, granite and quartz. They have an excellent appearance and are able to withstand bad weather. Experts recommend using decorative plaster in decorating offices in large areas, but in cottages and houses they are better to decorate small areas or use to accent individual elements of the interior (arches, projections, openings, niches, racks, etc.) And stone chips are most appropriate to use in non-residential premises (corridors, bathrooms, halls, etc.). In the exterior decoration it can be used both for the decoration of the whole building and for accenting individual architectural elements.
- flock coating. This is one of the latest achievements of our time. Finishing is applied to the surface in three layers: first, a layer of glue, then colored flakes — flocks or chips, and then a lacquer coating, which performs a protective function.If desired, you can mix flocks of different colors.
The indisputable advantages of decorative plasters include:
- The possibility of applying to virtually any external or internal surface of the building - concrete, brick, wood, metal, etc.
- High resistance to mechanical stress.
- Ability to hide surface defects.
- High water resistance and resistance to aggressive media - can be washed with any detergent, except for solvent-based formulations;
- Affordable cost.