How to treat allergies?
Allergy is a common disease of the currenttime, which is defined as the hypersensitivity of the organism to any substance (allergen). In a civilized society, it occurs much more often than in remote depths. In large cities, medicine is developed, doctors and strive to identify allergies in you or your child, but we can not fail to mention the regular stressful situations, pollution of the environment, which are also characteristic of developed countries and industrial centers. How to treat allergies, what to do with this misfortune of modern man? Here are the main recommendations for dealing with allergies.
Visit to the allergist
We recommend that you, first of all, apply forhelp to the doctor. The specialist diagnoses allergies (interrogation, skin tests, blood tests), assesses the severity, carries out the necessary examination for possible allergens and prescribes appropriate treatment.
Treating allergies is itself dangerous, because:
- improper prescription of medicines for allergies and their dosage can aggravate the course of the disease and cause its aggravation;
- Allergy is a cunning enemy, in a neglected state, it is able to pass into bronchial asthma or chronic rhinitis.
How to cure an allergy: basic principles
So, we decided that allergy treatment should be handled by a doctor. What measures will he take and what should the patient do?
- Get rid of the allergen.
- Reduce sensitivity to allergen (desensitization).
- Remove the symptoms of the disease with medication.
Let us dwell on each of the three stages of treating allergies.
Elimination of contact with an allergen
After the specialist diagnosedallergies and identified a possible allergen, it is necessary to exclude contact with it. In some cases, this is impossible. For example, pollinosis is an allergy, where the pollen of plants is an allergen. A person suffering from this disease can not sit at home with closed windows during the entire flowering season of a particular plant.
We will not go into difficult conceptsallergology. Let's just say complex. The term desensitization means that the doctor will work to remove the sensitivity of the body to the allergen. Although it will be more accurate to say that the treatment will reduce the sensitivity to the source, and not completely remove, since this is impossible.
If we talk about specific methods, then a person with an allergy will have to visit the polyclinic regularly and introduce an allergen in certain doses. The process is long. Allergy treatment takes 3-5 years.
People who are familiar with allergies understand thatmost often the body is allergic to several sources. Therefore, the composition of the vaccine will include a set of allergens, but not more than 2-3 in one portion. In practice, you can cause allergies and you can have more than 3 allergens. In this case, the doctor will simply choose for the vaccine the most important, that is, those that are the causative factors of the disease as a whole.
Efficacy of allergy treatment
Nobody will cure you of allergies completely. But desensitization can be performed on 80-90% in case of allergies to bites of wasps, bees, ticks, and also on pollen. For comparison, the treatment of fur allergy is ineffective. The correct choice of allergens in the vaccine and dosage - this is the key to successful treatment. Look for a good allergist.
First aid for allergies
How to cure an allergy quickly? Symptoms of allergies do not just stop living, but are quite dangerous in neglect. Allergy sufferers already know what remedies they can quickly get rid of the symptoms. As a rule, they have allergy medications in their medicine cabinet.
Preparations for allergies are divided into three generations:
- First-generation drugs are effective, goodare studied and quickly relieve the symptoms of the disease, but they have side effects such as drowsiness, slowing of reactions and dry mouth. The management of the vehicle when taking this group of drugs is contraindicated. This includes Diazolin, Dimedrol, Tavegil, Suprastin, Fenistil, for example. How an ambulance is used with Quincke's edema, with an acute reaction to food or medication, with acute urticaria.
- The advantage of second-generation drugs isa wider range of activities. Apply to eliminate the attack of bronchial asthma, with pollinosis (allergies to pollen), atopic dermatitis, allergic rhinitis. These drugs include Claritin, Loratodin, Zirtek, Ebastin, Tsetrin. Unfortunately, they also have a negative effect, namely they are contraindicated for people with heart diseases.
- The third generation of drugs is the largestefficiency, duration of action (from 12 to 48 hours) in the absence of sedation. They are used for long-term treatment of allergies. They are based on octavegil. As an example of antihistamines of the third generation, we mention Clarotadine, Lomilan, Telfast. Before you treat allergies with old drugs, familiarize yourself with the benefits of new ones.
Types of allergies and their treatment
- Food allergy. Allergen is food. It can manifest in the form of urticaria, eczema, migraine, abdominal pain and nausea. Treatment is a strict diet with the exception of food allergen. Drugs are prescribed only by a specialist depending on the symptoms.
- Respiratory allergy. The allergen is in the air that a person breathes (pollen of plants, animal hair, dust, mold spores). Possible symptoms are sneezing, bronchitis, and a runny nose. How to treat allergies in this case? It is best to pass the course of desensitization, which we wrote above, than a lifetime from year to year to take a ton of drugs that clear the symptoms of the disease.
- Allergy to medicines. It manifests itself in different ways: rash on the skin and itching, choking, damage to organs. If you suspect an allergy, stop taking this medicine immediately and see a doctor.
- Infectious allergy. Allergen is a germ in the bronchi that many have, but allergy to them develops only in individuals. The manifestation of such an allergy will be bronchial asthma.
- Skin allergy. Allergens come into contact directly with the skin (for example, cosmetics, fabric, metal). Symptoms - a rash, itchy skin, dry skin.
- Allergy to insect bites, as well as inhalation of products of their vital activity or particles of their bodies. Allergies can manifest as swelling, dizziness, asthma, urticaria, or suffocation.
How to treat allergies in children
First of all, we say that it is forbidden to use desensitization in children under 2 years of age. After all, samples for an allergen are allowed only from this age.
Prevention of allergies in children
Children, whose close relatives are allergic, have a predisposition to the development of the disease. Before you, simple ways to prevent allergies in your kids.
- Try to breast-feed your baby.
- Enter the complementary foods, following the recommendations of the pediatrician.
- Try a new product, start with one teaspoon in the morning.
- Do not give children under one year of products from cow's milk.
- Up to five months, do not enter into the diet of animal protein (eggs, meat, fish).
- Regularly spend at home wet cleaning and airing.
- Wash clothes after purchase.
- Do not smoke with the baby.
- Use only children's cosmetics and detergents.
All these events are on the conscience of the parents. And with allergy symptoms, put responsibility on the doctor who will prescribe the right treatment and will monitor the state of your treasure.