How to sew pillow letters?
Watch the video
Decorative cushion, made inform a letter, decorate any children's room. In addition, such an unusual pillow can be an excellent gift not only to the child, but also to the adult person. The pillow-letter is beautiful in itself, but it will be especially interesting to look at a set of such pillows, consisting of several letters that add up to a word.
Want to please your child with pillows, from which you can add his name? Then study our instructions, stock up on the necessary materials and get to work.
How to sew pillow-letters: instruction
Materials and Tools
Pillows should be pretty big and plump(the optimal size is 40 x 40 cm), so for the production of each pillow you will need two squares of fabric with a side of 45 cm. For one and a half letters such as "M", "Sh" or "F", and also for the letter "D "We need not squares, but rectangles measuring 45 x 55 cm.
Fabric for making pillows you canuse a variety of, most importantly, that it was sufficiently dense. However, here it is necessary to say that thick flax, jeans or cotton are badly draped, so wrinkles and small wrinkles will form in the corners of letters sewn from such a fabric. All natural dense fabrics are quite difficult to process, so a beginner skilled with them may not be able to cope.
The ideal material for sewing such pillows -quality dense fleece or thick synthetic velor on a knitted fabric. These fabrics are very plastic, they easily take the desired shape, and the cut edges are completely not crumbled. Fabric for pillows can be taken in monochrome, in a small box or in polka dots. All letters can be made in the same color and pattern, and you can experiment and pick up several types of fabric, combined with each other.
In addition to the fabric itself, you will also need:
- Sewing threads (preferably reinforced) in the tone of the fabric;
- Cushion packing is sintepon, but it's better to buy holofiber;
- Several large sheets of cardboard or thick paper - to create patterns;
- Portnovsky chalk;
- Sewing pins;
- A fairly long and thick wooden stick with a rounded end - for tamping the packing;
- Sewing needle.
- First make a pattern of letters. For each letter, draw a 40x40 square on paper and write a letter in it. Letters made with thick walls (about 10 - 12 cm). Corners of letters are better rounded - so it will be much easier to sew and twist. All the letters you should get smooth, with the same thickness of the walls. When you stuff them, they will look,as inflatable.
- Proceed to the cutting - for each letter from the fabricopen two identical mirror parts. To do this, put the pattern face up on the underside of the first flap and circle it with the tailor's chalk, then turn the pattern face down, place it on the wrong side of the second flap, and then circle it.
- Cut out the details - cut the fabric not by marking, but leave along each line of the pattern the allowance for a seam of 1.5 cm.
- Fold the pillow blanks in pairs, the front side inward.
- Sweep both parts of each letter with each other along the line of marking (or densely grind them with sewing pins, pins stick perpendicularly to the marking line).
- Straighten all the seams along the marking lines on the sewing machine.
- On one long outer side of the letter, do not patch a small area (7 - 10 cm) - through it you will then turn out the letter and fill it with filler.
- Turn out the entire letter to the frontleft holes, fill them with holofayberom (help yourself with a wooden stick) and sew the remaining hole manually with imperceptible small stitches. All! Your letter-pillows are ready.
Note: this method is suitable for sewing letters that do not have internal closed areas. Such letters as A or, for example, Yu, sew slightly harder - in them a part of the seams should be done manually.