How to grow greenery in winter?
Many people with the advent of winter begin to think aboutthat it would be nice to grow greens, for example, dill or parsley, on your home window sill. It would seem that it can be difficult to grow dill at home - put the seeds in a pot, water the ground and wait for the appearance of juicy green shoots. But often fennel on the windowsill grows some pale, yellow-green, sluggish, in general, not at all appetizing in appearance.
The secret of successful growing of dill lies in the details, which we now consider in detail.
How to grow fennel in winter
- Do not pursue early ripening varieties - they,of course, grow rapidly, but it is the stems of dill of early varieties that stretch out, weaken, and their thin leaves acquire a pale yellow shade. Buy a better packet of seeds of late bush varieties of dill (for example, the variety "Russian size") - this fennel on the windowsill forms dense, crusty bushes with a lot of bluish-green fragrant leaves.
- Before planting for better germination, soak dill seeds for two days in water at room temperature. Every five to six hours, change the water in the bowl with the seeds.
- In the flower pot, pour a small layerclaydite, on top of it - a fertile garden land or land for indoor plants. Sow the seeds directly on the surface of the wet earth. On top, lightly sprinkle them with dry soil.
- Cover the pot with glass and put it in a dark place for a week.
- When the dill rises, place the pot on the light sill.
- The optimum temperature for dill growth is 18-20 degrees.
- In the morning and in the evening, always highlight the sprouts of dill with a fluorescent lamp. Regularly water the dill with standing water.
How to grow parsley in winter
Parsley from the seeds are grown exactly the samethe way that dill. The only difference: the seeds of parsley do not need to be soaked before sowing as long as the fennel seeds, they should be kept in water for no more than a day. Abundant greens on the windowsill give varieties of parsley "Harvest" or "Sugar".
More in detail about the cultivation of parsley earlier we already told in the article How to plant parsley.