Calcevirus infection in cats: symptoms and treatment
Calcevirus infection in cats is a highly contagious viral disease that requires immediate response from the owners. If the appropriate measures are not taken in time, the animal may die.
It is from your awareness and will depend on the life of the animal. If there is a calcevirus infection in cats, the symptoms will not be long in coming. Especially the signs of the disease manifest themselves in small kittens. In general, they are much more difficult to tolerate the disease. Adult cats with good immunity or grafted animals can tolerate calciticosis virtually asymptomatically. But knowledge is not superfluous.
Here are the characteristic signs of the disease:
- The animal rises to very high temperatures (40,5 ° C). It lasts about 72 hours, and then it is normalized.
- There is a discharge from the eyes and nose. At the very beginning - transparent, but gradually intensifying and exuding a very unpleasant smell.
- The cat raises salivation, so the chin and chest of the animal are constantly wet.
- The oral cavity and the nose are covered with numerous sores that are filled with fluid. They bring a lot of inconvenience to the cat. Bubbles begin to burst, forming bleeding wounds, and from the mouth of the cat there is a strong smell of rot.
- When the calcevirus infection in cats is just beginning to develop, the owner may notice some unusual behavior of the animal during meals. He very slowly and carefully chews food, constantly coughs, as if choked. If at this time to inspect the mouth of a cat, then you will see inflamed gums. Pussy very badly eats, becomes sluggish.
- There may be diarrhea followed by constipation.
The virus often affects the upper respiratory tract. An animal has a cough, shortness of breath, sneezing. All can end with pneumonia and pulmonary edema.
If the virus could penetrate the brain, then the cat (about a week after the above-described signs) begin to convulsions, disrupted the coordination of movement. Yesterday's affectionate purring becomes very aggressive.
The disease, which has passed into the chronic stage, is asymptomatic. Sometimes there may be small discharge from the eyes or nose, lameness, apathetic behavior. But with the slightest weakening of the immune defense, calcivirosis turns into an acute form.
How can an animal get infected?
Now you can understand when there is a calcevirus infection in cats, you already know the symptoms of the disease. It is not superfluous to learn the methods of infection.
In total there are four ways:
- Pussy can catch the virus without even communicating with its carrier. It is enough that she sniffs infected feces or lands on the grass, which is stained with the urine of the transporter.
- The virus can be transmitted by airborne droplets. But it pleases that the radius of its action, nevertheless, is limited: only a meter from the source of the disease.
- Calcitovirus can bring a man into the house. The virus remains active for several days, so even a fully domestic cat can get sick.
- The disease can be transmitted through any allocation of a sick animal.
Diagnosis of the disease
In most cases, no specific tests are required. Typical signs, characteristic for this disease, allow you to make an accurate diagnosis. In some cases, a swab of fluid is taken to analyze or confirm a similar disease - feline herpesvirus infection.
Calcevirus infection in cats: treatment
A sick animal needs mandatory isolation. Specific antiviral drugs, unfortunately, are absent, so the treatment is aimed at eliminating secondary infections that have developed against the background of the underlying disease.
So, calcevirus infection in cats, than to treat? Here everything will depend on the veterinarian, his experience. As a rule, antibiotics of a wide spectrum of action are appointed. Since calciviroz very much exhausts the animal, it is necessary to take immunostimulating drugs and vitamins. When you cough a pussy you can drink, for example, with drugs "Bromgeksin" or "Pertussin".
Mandatory and constant treatment of the inflamed mouth. In case of eye damage, eye drops should be used. These can be preparations "Bars", "Dekta-2" and the like.
It is important to remember, the calcevirus infection, the treatment of which we are now considering, is very insidious. And interrupt the complex of measures prescribed by the veterinarian in no case be impossible, even if the cat looks quite healthy. The retreated disease can return again and then the chances of survival in the pussy will not remain.
Calcevirus infection in cats: complications
By itself, calcivirosis is not as dangerous as developing on its background secondary infections. The most common is the disease of the upper respiratory tract. Young cats can even get pneumonia.
Next are gingivitis and stomatitis. Sometimes calcevirus infection (especially in small kittens) can be accompanied by lameness of the animal, as it develops joint inflammation - arthritis. Then it passes, but always accompanied by strong pain.
A special danger is calciticosis for kittens. Unfavorable outcome is possible for weakened animals. The incubation period in infants does not exceed 24 hours and if the cat is not vaccinated, then about 80% of diseased kittens die. Adult individuals survive much more often, approximately in 70% of cases. But under one condition, that calciticosis treatment is started early and there are no complicated secondary infections. Old and weak animals, as a rule, die in more than half the cases.
Care of the cat
It can often be heard that calciviroz is dangerous to humans, but it is not. The disease is capable of affecting only cats, and is completely safe for humans, dogs and feathered pets. Therefore, do not be afraid to get infected and refuse to care for a sick cat. Because now the life of the purr depends only on you.
Calciviroz very much depletes the vitality of the pet. It is very important that the pussy get good nutrition. The regime of feeding and diet will be picked up by the doctor.
It is very important to maintain the cleanliness of the place where the animal lies. Every day, replace the litter and ventilate the room. It is important not to forget about the necessary hygiene procedures. The animal needs to be washed with eyes, cleaned by the nose, adhering to the excretions of the fur and necessarily treating the mouth.
Calcitovirus is a very complex disease. An animal in the period of illness will constantly need your attention and care. A sick cat can not practically be left alone, as it needs moral support in addition to careful care. And it can only be given by a beloved master.
Avoid this situation and not see the torment of his pet will help a trip to the veterinarian for vaccination. Vaccination from calciticosis is the best that you can offer your pet. Of course, it can not fully protect the animal, but in case of infection, the disease will flow much easier.